St Patrick’s R.C. Cathedral, Armagh
St. Patrick’s Cathedral Armagh is the prime ecclesiastical building in Northern Ireland and is the seat of the Archbishop of Armagh, Primate of Ireland.
The building, completed in 1873, is a grade “A” listed building and is noted for its rich ornamentation and decoration particularly the fine mosaic finishes to walls and floor.
This restoration project arose out of the necessity for major structural repairs to the Cathedral. To oversee the project, Archbishop Seán Brady appointed a Diocesan committee whose members took the opportunity of reviewing the sanctuary area, of restoring and enhancing the interior decoration and of upgrading existing facilities.
Under the restoration works Delap & Waller provided the building services consultancy for the replacement of all existing building services and the provision of new lighting, a sound system and the replacement of an original heating installation.
To upgrade and replace the existing heating required the use of highly specialised drilling technology to allow replacement of floor pipe work without disruption to existing ornate wall and floor finishes.